Friday, November 2, 2007

Deer vs. Caddy

So far, our adventures with Sophie in her lifetime have been fun, warm and sweet. But I suppose scary has to come into our lives as some point, and it did today. We had been roadtripping in my Grandmother's Cadillac, generously loaned to us for the journey due to the amount of space required with a baby and well, duh. It's a Cadillac.
Our first day was comfortable and uneventful.
The second morning of the trip we left before sun up as we had had a near sleepless night in the hotel room with Sophie, so we figured we would get a nice early start to the day.
My father was driving along the Interstate when suddenly there was the most sickening crash, a jolt, and I caught a glimpse of white and brown limbs flying though the air past the back window. The deer had leapt out of the ditch so close to our oncoming car that my dad didn't even have time to break before we struck it.
Luckily we were within a quarter of a mile of an exit, which had all the ammenities we needed, including a Cadillac dealership down the road, where the staff was amazing and found us a van to continue our journey in, and took in the Cadillac to have it assessed.
It was incredibly frightening, my mother bear instinct kicked so strong, I just had to hold Sophie close to me until I felt safe again.
The Caddy was the only injury today, we were all fine. Well, except the deer, of course. But we sullied on to Iowa, and the Cadillac was eventually repaired and returned to my Grandmother.

No comments: